Going shopping for honey can be overwhelming. One would think “honey is honey” but most grocery stores seem to shelf an overwhelming amount of different types of honey. Raw honey, natural honey, organic honey, unfiltered- what really are the differences? We will explain what these are and give you 5 reasons that you should buy raw honey!
- Raw and unfiltered honey is a great source of antioxidants, which protect against cell damage from free radicals. These free radicals can contribute to developing different forms of cancer and heart disease.
- Raw and unfiltered honey contains antibacterial and antifungal properties, which can help one during the recovery process of many different infections.
- Raw honey can help with digestive issues, considering it nourishes the “good bacteria” that live in the intestines.
- Raw honey is a common sore throat remedy- mix it in with some hot tea!
- Raw honey can also act as a cough suppressant. In fact- research has suggested that raw honey’s cough suppressant effects are comparable to dextromethorphan- which is a common ingredient in over-the-counter medications.
In short, one should look for the words raw and unfiltered on the packaging, with adulterated honey being the opposite and what you need to avoid. Adulterated honey’s inauthenticity is rooted in the fact that fraudulent honey contains added sugars such as fructose. This gives adulterated honey a completely different chemical makeup- and that trademark stickiness. It is safe to assume that if a honey does not have the words raw or unfiltered on the packaging, it might be adulterated.
Even the term organic on a honey label can be misleading. Due to the nature of how honey is made, no honey made in the US can be considered organic. So when you buy organic honey it likely comes from countries like China or Brazil which raises the likelihood of it being adulterated. It is also important to look for honey made in the country you live in, in order to get the most benefits from it.
Honey is pasteurized into this adulterated form, which unfortunately destroys many key nutrients in the process. With pasteurization, they heat, filter and add ingredients to their honey taking out the micronutrients.
Knowing all of this we make sure to use raw and unfiltered honey in all of our Vitamin Honey products. If you want to learn more about the benefits of raw honey check out our sources below! Check out our blog next week for more on Adulterated honey.